Tuesday, January 5, 2010

On the road to Canberra

It's been some time since I've posted - and now that the holidays are over and things have settled back into a groove, I'll be a bit more consistent with my blogging, so keep checking back.

Back in December, I made a work related trip to Canberra. Canberra is the Australian National Capital and is located about 4 hours south by car. I was up and on the road by 4:30am to make the 9:00am appointment. Once I was out of the city, the countryside opened up and what I thought would be a long boring drive turned into a rather pleasant sightseeing tour.

I drove over a small rise and this view unfolded... A vast open valley that went on for miles and miles. It reminded me of Interstate 10, driving through New Mexico. Just endless land with no buildings in sight - just sheep, cows and an occasional kangaroo lounging in the shade under a far off tree.


Another photo after passing through the valley. The sky is such a crisp, crystal clear blue which the camera can't capture.


We have our roadside attractions in the US... and so do the Australians. This giant ram was located near a gas station and you could see it for several miles. It's calling is to lure unwary, tired drivers into it's junk food goodness located in the shop nearby. Also, what a great photo op and heck, it made me pull over.... I just hope the investment in the big ram was worth it. It's going to take a lot of cups of coffee, bags of chips and cans of soda to pay it off.


Once I arrived in Canberra, I had to take a photo of the Capital building. I thought it was sort of anti-climatic. I'm not sure what I expected... at least some sort of "WOW" factor. As I got closer, it turned into more of a "WHAT?" factor.


The drive home - My first attempt at posting an .avi file. It's three minutes of driving the road back to Sydney taken in the the Great Wide Open. Also taken with the movie setting on a digital camera - so the quality isn't going to be very good. The music however, is. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment